What is DELTA?
DELTA, Deaf Education through Listening and Talking, is a voluntary association of young deaf adults, the families and teachers of deaf children. DELTA is a national charity which supports and develops the Natural Aural Approach to the education of deaf children. Both the Approach and the Association trace their origins back to a group of teachers of the deaf working together from 1980 to improve the outcomes for deaf children. The Association exists for the Approach and the Approach exists because of the work of the members of the Association.
- We know that the vast majority of deaf children can learn to listen and talk.
- We believe that this option should be available to all deaf children.
- We work to make that happen by :
- Providing information on the Natural Aural Approach;
- Organising meetings for families across the country who want to help their deaf children listen and talk;
- Running Summer Schools for the whole family so that they can learn the skills and techniques they need;
- informing local education authorities, doctors, health visitors, audiologists and other professionals who help deaf children about our approach and its achievements.